I’ve never been a really big fan of the term ‘reinventing oneself’. I’d rather hear ‘finding oneself’ or even ‘redefining oneself’.
Reinventing, in my opinion, kind of sounds like coming up with a new and unique way to make oneself into someone they’re not. Lets break this down. The word invent can mean two things:
- Create or design (something that has not existed before); be the originator of. In this case it fits the phrase, so use it all you want. I guess its pretty awesome to be an originator of oneself. BUT, here is why I’ve never liked, and never used this saying. Definition number…..
- Make up (an idea, name, story, etc.), especially so as to deceive. Every time I hear this saying, my mind automatically wanders to the word ‘deceive’. As in, its a lie. Naturally when I hear someone say they are going to reinvent themselves I think…. Hmmmm so you are going to lie and pretend to be someone you’re not??
Use this phrase all you want. Again, this is just my opinion. I won’t judge, I’ll just be thinking in the back of my mind — Shit, I really wish you would have used one of those other words!
NOW, lets get to the entire point of this post and talk about the other options. Here is why I love the terms ‘finding oneself’ and ‘redefining oneself’. Every time I hear someone say either of the two, a smile automatically pulls at the corner of my lips. Especially when it’s someone I love!
First lets explore the word Find. There are also two meanings here, and they are both completely commendable in terms of ‘oneself’:
- Discover or perceive by chance or unexpectedly. I love this. Anyone who can try new things consistently, explore the world and get to know themselves is AWESOME! It takes bravery to ‘find oneself’. Discover your own likes and dislikes. Reach into your heart and soul. Follow your intuition and know your own perception on life in general. Finding oneself, in my opinion, is the best way to build confidence and self-love.
- Recognize or discover (something) to be present… This definition is kind of a riddle when it comes to ‘oneself’.. And, its a beautiful one! When finding oneself you must live in the now. Be present. How do you feel right now? What do you like about today? What do you love about yourself this very second? FIND IT!
Lastly, ‘Redefining Oneself’. This is also a beautiful thing to do. We all go through times in our life when we feel a little bored, frumpy, wilted, or just flat out down. It shows in our faces, and it’s felt in our words…. Or lack of for that matter… Even the most confident people need to explore the ‘redefine’ option from time to time and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! Redefinition is refreshing and sometimes utterly necessary! Let’s explore the meaning of define.
- State or describe exactly the nature, scope, or meaning of... Obviously this means if we are to define ourselves, literally, then we must state (or list so to speak) our qualities and our nature. So, how do we ‘RE’-define, you ask? We dig down deep. It still needs to be real, be you, but it has to be the actual factual true blue you. The parts that you love and that makes you, well, you! In order for to redefine ourselves, we must get rid of everything in our lives that doesn’t feel right. We must de-junk the clutter that just doesn’t fit. Rewind a little, and get ourselves back to the ‘you’ that you ‘found’ in the first place. Once you can list your qualities in a way that is true to oneself, then you can honestly say you have re-defined yourself.
- Mark out the boundary or limits of… Hmmmm, another riddle? … Sort of!! The synonyms listed by this definition can most definitely help to solve the conundrum. They are as follows: determine, establish, fix, specify, designate, decide, stipulate, set out…. This is such a beautiful list of words, when it comes to oneself. These words are the exact reason I stated that re-defining oneself is refreshing! It’s like you’re on a mission to set out and fix yourself in order to decide and determine whats right for you! Like I said, beautiful.